Introduction to Credentialing
NCDA offers diverse, high quality competency-based credentials that effectively uphold NCDA's standards and ethics.
What is a credential? A credential represents a formal validation of an individual's qualifications and professional competency in a specific industry.
What is the value of a credential? An industry certification ensures that you are proficient in a field, while allowing you to enhance your professional brand. By promoting your credential to organizations, your peers and the public at large, you are able to present your base of knowledge, skills and experience to those you serve (students and clients).
The Credentialing Commission has declared the following benefits:
Supports your professional brand and profile in the field of career development
- Formal validation of your professional background and qualifications
- Highlights your strengths and expertise as a practitioner, educator and/or supervisor
- Portable, national competency-based credential, that reaches beyond a certificate of training
- Provides credibility and transparency for heightened consumer confidence
- Built upon rigorous quality standards, scope of practice and ethical guidelines
- Supports core standards of practice for practitioners and consumers
- NCDA offers support for credentials via research, advocacy, and continuing education.
How do you choose a credential?
- View the documents and graphic to help you answer the question, "Which credential is right for me?"
- Read all the FAQs, including those under each credential.
- Learn more under How to Apply.
READ MORE about NCDA Credentials in NCDA Publications:
- The Value of Continuing Education in Maintaining Competency as a Career Development Professional (Career Convergence, 2022)
- Continued Growth for the NCDA Credentialing Commission (Career Convergence, March 2020)
- Perspectives - New Credential Holders Share Insights on Earning a Credential (Career Developments, Summer 2018)
- Choosing a Credential (Career Convergence, March 2018)
- New Era of Professional Growth (Career Developments, Summer 2017)
- Credentialing Comparison Chart 2021
- The system generates automatic emails to inform applicants and holders about their status. Please check your spam folder to see if your messages are there. If you are not receiving credentialing messages, please contact us.
- Continuing Education Providers may now apply to be listed in the NCDA Directory of Select CE Providers
- Credential Holder Continuing Education Log (2nd ed.)
- The Credentialing Commission released the Continuing Education Manual (2nd ed.)