Introduction to Credentialing
NCDA offers diverse, high quality competency-based credentials that effectively uphold NCDA's standards and ethics.
What is a credential? A credential represents a formal validation of an individual's qualifications and professional competency in a specific industry.
What is the value of a credential? An industry certification ensures that you are proficient in a field, while allowing you to enhance your professional brand. By promoting your credential to organizations, your peers and the public at large, you are able to present your base of knowledge, skills and experience to those you serve (students and clients).
The Credentialing Commission has declared the following benefits:
Supports your professional brand and profile in the field of career development
- Formal validation of your professional background and qualifications
- Highlights your strengths and expertise as a practitioner, educator and/or supervisor
- Portable, national competency-based credential, that reaches beyond a certificate of training
- Provides credibility and transparency for heightened consumer confidence
- Built upon rigorous quality standards, scope of practice and ethical guidelines
- Supports core standards of practice for practitioners and consumers
- NCDA offers support for credentials via research, advocacy, and continuing education.
READ MORE about NCDA Credentials in NCDA Publications:
- Continued Growth for the NCDA Credentialing Commission (Career Convergence, March 2020)
- Perspectives - New Credential Holders Share Insights on Earning a Credential (Career Developments, Summer 2018)
- Choosing a Credential (Career Convergence, March 2018)
- New Era of Professional Growth (Career Developments, Summer 2017)
- NEW! The NCDA Credentialing Commission is seeking an applicant to fill an open position on this Commission to serve the constituents of the Certified School Career Development Advisor (CSCDA) and the Certified Clinical Supervisor of Career Counseling (CCSCC). View details and application here. Deadline to apply: August 19, 2022.
- NCDA is offering a “fast track” for the Certified Master of Career Services (CMCS) credential until Sept 30, 2022. Credentialed coaching professionals with career services experience are encouraged to apply. Click here to learn more.
- Credentialing Comparison Chart 2021
- The system generates automatic emails to inform applicants and holders about their status. Please check your spam folder to see if your messages are there. If you are not receiving credentialing messages, please contact us.
- Continuing Education Providers may now apply to be listed in the NCDA Directory of Select CE Providers
- Credential Holder Continuing Education Log (2nd ed.)
- The Credentialing Commission released the Continuing Education Manual (2nd ed.)